Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Blog 1: The Whole Ball of Wax

I enjoyed the reading a lot, mainly for the reason that they gave of art being so important and in-depth. When they compared art with other subjects like science, I was very surprised at first because since I am a big science person, I have never thought of art as anything even comparable to science, besides when you need to draw atoms or something like that. However, when he went into more explanation about how art can be broken down and always interpreted differently and always changing. I found it really interesting how they talked about how it changes over time because as people grow and develop as people and a generation, then the way they interpret the things they look at is changed. I usually think about people interpreting things when the art is very abstract, but he talked about just regular art and how people can look at it differently. He made it seem as though art is all about understanding the art and the way you look at it because of the way he referenced Oscar Wilde, "The moment you think you understand a work of art it's dead to you." Then when he talked about the difference between the dog and cat, it made a lot of sense. I saw this as dogs are very simple and will do what they are told, but cats will keep their distance and make things more complicated. And that is the way that are is supposed to be too, it is not supposed to be simple and straight forward, it is supposed to be hard to figure out and change things all the time by not always doing the same thing. He explains that art is not rigid and I really liked that because in things like math, which I have always loved, it is extremely straight forward and there is one write answer. I have always thought that I loved that because there was one way to solve the problem, but I also love art, which is now very conflicting to me. However, art is something different and special to me. I have always done art as a form of stress relief if exercise did not work. Drawing always has a way to calm me down and then in the end, whatever I have drawn, reflects what I feel and what I was thinking. Whereas math just challenges me in a number of ways and then you are on a destination to find the right answer. I like both things but I love how art and the view of different art can change depending on the times and even just how you are feeling at a time of day. That is something that I do not think anything else to do. Other subjects are very hard and definite but art can always be different, even if it is the same piece of art. To me, I would define Art as a complicated way of expression that can be interpreted in many different ways. It is a form of information and communication in a way that other areas can not do.

No comments:

Post a Comment